I’m going to eat the food of a different country every single day, for as many days in a row as I can. It’s a celebration of other cultures, but also a celebration of our own. It’s a love song to the modern world. The Ballad of Look How Much Amazing Food From All Over The Fucking Planet Is Right In My Back Yard. But seriously. Look how much amazing food from all over the fucking planet is right in my back yard! Fifty years ago, it was downright insane to consider a world where you could eat chilaquiles for breakfast and bibimbap for lunch. But now? People in LA can find those within blocks of each other—and get really good versions of them too.
So…how long will this last? How far can I go eating a different country’s food every single day before I run out of options? How close can I get to learning what the rest of this big ass world tastes like?
- No days off. A new country every single day. No exceptions.
- Strive for authenticity. I’m not going to Panda Express. I want food that’s gonna get me as close to the homeland as possible.
- No cheating. I will not be ordering canned fish online from Helsinki and saying that counts.
- No cooking it myself. Looking up a recipe on a website and trying to recreate it in my own kitchen isn’t getting me any closer to understanding what other people eat. However, if a Mauritanian wants to invite me over for a home cooked meal, I’m all over it.
- All it takes is one. Some days I’ll eat all three meals from the country, some days it’ll just be one. Heck, if all I can find for New Zealand is pavlova…I’m eating pavlova. But beverages don’t count. It’s not Man Ingests World In Some Capacity.
If you have any information or a recommendation for a restaurant or foreign food source (your mom likes to cook, right?) please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org